Monday, June 18, 2007

Amy's New Toy...

Well, despite Matt's objections, I rented myself a new 'toy' to use over the next 4-5 months. Matt thought that I would be obsessive about the toy and that it would do nothing 'positive,' so since receiving it in the mail, I haven't used it...up until yesterday. So, at this point, you're probably wondering what kind of toy I rented...so I'll spill the beans and fill you in on my excitement.

The 'toy' I rented on-line is a Fetal Heart Rate Monitor. It's a high-tech Doppler with a 2 MgHz probe. The company I rented it from is run by an OB/GYN and the Doppler is really safe (it's the same type that they use at the DRs offices-- and I had to get my OB's okay on it before I was able to rent it). The reason Matt didn't think it was a good idea is because he thought I would be using it all the time and get worried/freaked out if I couldn't find the baby's heartbeat every minute of the day. Since I didn't use it until yesterday (and I've had it for about a month now), I think Matt realizes that I'm not going to get obsessive compulsive about it. I have been really proud of myself for not trying it any earlier, as I was so excited when it came in the mail, but I wanted to prove to Matt that I wasn't going to be freakish about having it.

Well, yesterday, we were having a lazy day and slept in (until about 9am) and I thought I felt the baby move. I've thought I've felt him for a few weeks now, but I haven't been sure, so I haven't really made a big deal about it. Yesterday's movements felt a little bit different than what I've been feeling so I asked Matt if I could pull out the Doppler and try it out. When it came in the mail he said that he didn't want to have anything to do with it, but yesterday he said sure. So...we covered my lower tummy with some ultrasound gel that came with the Doppler and the search began. It was kinda hard to find the baby's heartbeat (my heartbeat was so loud) but after about a minute we found it. It was such an amazing feeling to hear the little pitter-patters of his tiny heart just thumping away.

The coolest part of the Doppler is that you can connect it to your computer and record the heartbeat to your hard drive as a wav file. So, after finding his heartbeat yesterday, I ran downstairs and connected the Doppler to the laptop (in hindsight, it would have been easier to have brought the laptop to me!) and recorded his heartbeat so that I could post it/email it out today. As the weeks progress, I'll keep posting new recordings on the site for you to hear. If you didn't notice, the link to hear Baby Garrison's heartbeat is over on the top of the page on the RIGHT.

I think it's totally cool and hope you do too...especially since we are so far away from everyone during this exciting new experience.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

You are too funny! It's so cool you can record the heartbeat, the grandparents will be so impressed. Have fun listening to the heartbeat it's just so cool!