Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Sweet Taters and Pears

On Sunday, May 4th, Ava had her first taste of ORGANIC SWEET TATERS. After doing so well with the green beans, we decided to move along to something of a different color...sweet taters. Ava absolutely LOVED her sweet taters. I was very surprised at how good they tasted (I ate sweet taters for the first time this past Thanksgiving) when homemade and plain. Growing up, I never tried the sweet potato casserole during the holidays because 1) I thought they looked gross 2) I knew they were made with eggs and 3) I don't like marshmallows. So, this past Thanksgiving, we made a sweet potato casserole without any eggs and with part of it not infested with marshmallows (the sweet potatoes were cut up in chunks and were roasted with maple syrup and other seasonings). The sweet potatoes weren't as bad as I had expected, they just weren't my favorite food.

So, fast forward to my day of making Ava Holt's baby food. Of course I had to try them to see what they tasted like...and I was pleasantly surprised. The puree was sweet (duh) and really tasty despite having no seasoning in it what-so-ever. When I made the puree, I used very minimal water, so the flavor was excellent. I'm not sure if it was because the sweet taters were organic or baked or what, but they were really good. I haven't tried the jarred kind yet, but there is no way they can taste as good as my homemade puree.

Here is some video footage of Ava Holt eating sweet taters for the first time. The first clip is really short because I accidentally pushed the stop button...but, I pushed it right away to start recording again. Although short, the first video cracks me up because you can see and hear her reaction to her first taste of the sweet taters. But as you can see, she develops an affinity for her sweet taters...




1 comment:

Allenfamilyadventure said...

Yay! So glad that feeding is going so well. Way to go on making your own food--I think it's so much more healthy than the stuff in the jars. Ava will thank you for it someday!