Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The ING Luxembourg Marathon



So, just when you thought we were crazy for running in one marathon this year, we went out on May 20th and ran in another one--the ING Luxembourg Night Marathon. Well, Matt RAN in another one and I walked the half. I wasn't planning on participating, but I figured that I could use a little bit of exercise (after being on 'bedrest' for 2-3 weeks) and I had already signed up and paid the entry fees a few months prior.

Well, walking a half marathon and running a half/full marathon are two different ball games. I think those 13.1 miles were the LONGEST 13.1 miles of my life! Luckily, I had a friend, Lee Anne, who also walked with me and kept the conversation flowing for the 3 hours that it took us to finish. Lee Anne's husband, Chris, ran with Matt in the full, so Matt had a running buddy to keep him company too.

Matt and Chris did great and Lee Anne and I finished (which was our only goal). Although, the Luxembourg police did try to kick us off the course once--as they said that the event 'was not a game and that we should either stop or run.' We just ignored them and kept walking--and we successfully were the LAST people to cross the finish line for the half marathon!

Finishing the marathon was the best part, as the race ended inside a stadium that was equipped with all sorts of lights, smoke machines, loud music, and screaming spectators. It was the COOLEST marathon finish that we will probably ever take part in...although the stadium had no A/C, so in a literal sense, it was incredibly steamy and hot inside. Above is a picture of the finish area before the marathon started (the crew was still putting it together only a few hours before the race started) and below is a picture of the course leading up into the stadium.

No comments: